Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Virtual March for Life

Americans United for Life has launched an internet-based project that they've dubbed Virtual March for Life.  They've pitched it at those who cannot be in Washington on January 22nd for the actual March for Life.  It is done through the selection of "avators", something about which I need to study.

It has come under some criticism, however.  In a sense, I can understand the criticism.  I myself am a pro-life activist.  I firmly believe in Father Frank Pavone's statements in his flyer, "Our Media Is the Streets."  I link to it because I urge its close study.  For over 15 years, I've been in front of various abortuaries as a sidewalk counselor.  I've been involved in a number of street protests - and I've led some of them.  Last year,  or two ago, when something called the Red Envelope Project became quite the fad amongst some prolifers, I took strong issue with that.  In an exchange that I had with the founder, he flat out said that (paraphrased) "folks will not go into the streets, they will not write letters to the editor, but they will send an envelope.."  In other words, he was providing a cop-out.  If he had encouraged his followers to take the next step and become more active, I might have seen some worth to this project.  By the way - its website appears to be defunct; that's why there's no link.

Let's get back to the Virtual March for Life.  I ask you to look carefully at the main page.  If you look on the right side of that page, it offers the opportunity for a "virtual march" for those who cannot be in Washington.  Note that word cannot.  The unfortunate criticisms that I hear seem to indicate a belief that AUL is offering this venue for those who simply choose not to come to Washington.  As I look at this, it seems that AUL is offering this alternative for those who are honestly unable to come to Washington.  Now perhaps AUL might emphasize that point a bit better on their site and suggest local action, but still, a more-than-precursory glance at the page makes plain the intent of AUL.  Besides, I just cannot see Americans United for Life deliberately submarining Nellie Gray and her March for Life.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are going to have differences of opinions with each other, as good people will indeed disagree on things from time to time.  Let us be careful, though, to make certain that we are at least representing each other accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and courteous to others on this blog. We reserve the right to delete comments that violate courtesy and/or those that promote dissent from the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church.